Back then I didn't know anything about fusibles or any other tricks to make appliqué easier. It was appliquéd entirely by hand with nothing more than a needle, thread, a pair of scissors, and a pin or two.
I originally started it as a gift (I worked at 23andMe at the time), but when I didn't have time to finish it, it got packed away and essentially forgotten about.
Before I left 23andMe for a new job, I had promised I'd finish it for decoration in the office. Since we're about to move to another state in a month and a half, I figured I better make good on that promise. :)
This was my first time trying any free motion quilting other than stippling. I quilted two double helixes, and while I was initially concerned with some flaws, in the end I am pleased how it looks as a whole. I did a simple loopy FMQ design for the background.
This also was my first time having my own fabric printed on Spoonflower. I used the company logo to create a custom quilt backing. It was a lot harder than I expected to hide the repeat! But I hope to get to try my hand at a lot more fabrics in the future. :)
It feels good to put this near 2 year UFO in the D-O-N-E pile!