So, recently I had my phone replaced by Verizon since its autofocus was never operational. Rather than getting another invisiShield, which eventually started peeling at the corners on my last Droid, I decided I'd make myself a little cloth case to put it in while inside my purse to keep it from getting scratched.
I used plain black cotton for the outside and a green cotton I had left over from my 23andMe quilt I'm working on for the lining. Inside I have some 100% cotton batting to help absorb moisture if it does get in, and a layer of jacket nylon to help it from getting in in the first place.
I definitely struggled with this one a bit. First I tried appliqueing on an Android logo using a blanket stitch, but the extra texture on the edge made it so it didn't have a graphic enough look to it. So I took that off and tried appliqueing using an invisible stitch, but that resulted in some slight puckering on the edge that I couldn't get to go away that led to the same problem of unclean edges. Finally I tried to just embroider the outline of the logo. This turned out more difficult than I anticipated to try to get straight lines and even stitches, but I deemed it good enough and moved on since I needed the case sooner rather than later.
This is also my first time trying to attempt binding anything. Again I struggled, this fighting to get the edges to be even, and my corners are far from perfect. It still amazes me how much easier it is to get straight lines by hand instead of with the machine, which is what I used for this. I certainly gained an appreciation for my fellow craft bloggers - they all make it look so easy!
But in the end it worked well enough - and my phone is nice and snug in its new home. (At least until I try again.)
A better view of the Android Logo:
A shot of the inside:
What it looks like closed:
If nothing else it was a learning process. :P